Michelle assumed her post as Special Trade Representative at the Philippine Trade and Investment Center New York (PTIC-NY) in February 2012, leading the trade and investment effort for the Philippine country-team in New York.
She finished a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration (cum laude) at the University of the Philippines, Diliman in 1988. Immediately after graduation she joined the Department of Trade and Industry, Bureau of Export Trade Promotion as a Technical Assistant to the Director. Expanding her exposure to the industry, she joined the Philippine Exporters Confederation, Inc. From 1989 to 1995 as a Senior Manager.
In 1996 she completed an MBA International Business and Export Management at the City University Business School, London as a British Chevening Scholar.
Returning to the Philippines in 1997, she joined the Trade Development Consultants, Philippines, Inc. As an Associate until 1999, when she joined the Foreign Trade Service Corps of the Department of Trade and Industry (FTSC-DTI).
Since joining the FTSC, she has been assigned as:
- Special Assistant to the DTI Undersecretary / Special Assistant to the SEC Commissioner (on detail);
- Commercial Attache at the Philippine Trade and Investment Center Bangkok (covering Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Mao PDR and Cambodia);
- Special Assistant to the DTI Secretary – OSEC Coordinator for the International Trade Group;
- Special Trade Representative and Consul (Commercial), Philippine Trade and Investment Center – Sydney (covering Australia and New Zealand);
- Special Trade Representative and Consul (Commercial), Philippine Trade and Investment Centers in New York and Chicago (covering NE and Midwest USA)